I tried something a little different tonight. I really wanted to make a simple cake in a mug but am not able to eat wheat or dairy. I searched online for some sort of recipe/guideline and then made some adaptations. Here's the recipe I found: http://newsresults.blogspot.ca/2010/12/cake-in-cup-recipe-microwave-cake-in.html. I used it as a guideline and used what I had available to me.
I wouldn't say that my substitutions were perfect but with some more tweaking in future attempts I think it can get there. Overall I was very happy.
I used about 4.5-5 TBSP gluten free vanilla cake mix, 1 TBSP of cocoa, 3-3.5 TBSP of sugar. 1 egg. 4 TBSP of coconut milk, 1.5-2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil (although I'd like to try using coconut oil sometime). I think I'd use a little less of the cake mix in the future (maybe the 4 TBSP the recipe I found calls for) and get some coconut sugar or use honey or maple syrup in sugars place. Also, use a LARGE mug. I used a large mug and still had it spill over the sides some. Perhaps to be on the safe side and make clean up easy put the mug on a plate before microwaving. I think there's probably some room to play around with this and still end up with a successful cake in a mug that suits your needs/wants/limitations and still tastes good enough to eat.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Posted by FoundProdigalDaughter at 9:40 PM