Friday, February 12, 2010

Swag Bucks, Amazon.ca, and My Fitness Coach for Wii

I've decided to take a week off from Thankful Thursdays and yes I know I'm posting this on a Friday...apparently I don't know my days of the week...lol.

You may be wondering, or not, how all the things in my title relate...and let me say...they do relate.

If you've been to various blogs and locations over the internet you have probably heard about SwagBucks.  I know it seems like every 2nd or 3rd blog I read there is reference to it somewhere on the page. 



Search & Win


I know that's how I found out about it. Someone, and I forget now who, had written a review and that got me curious. So I decided I'd check it out too. I haven't had the best of luck in the past with these kinds of sites so I was skeptical...however I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't take long at all to earn enough points to start redeeming for items. I've donated some of my bucks to various charities but I've also redeemed for quite a few $5 Amazon.ca gift cards as well. It only takes 450 Swagbucks (edited September 5, 2010 because of changes to swag bucks) to get a $5 gift card.  You can redeem for Amazon.com as well as a host of other prizes.  Anything from posters and trading cards, to gift cards, to electronics, and way more.

 

I saved up $20 worth and went to see what I could find.  I ended up ordering My Fitness Coach for the Wii.  I've been trying to increase my activity level but am not confident enough to go to the gym and really get annoyed with just walking so after looking at the reviews and comparing to a few other Wii fitness games I settled on this one.  It was among the cheapest with the best reviews so I figured why not.  I was able to stack my gift cards together and then put the last little bit (some tax and shipping costs of approximately $7) on my credit card.  I could've waited until I earned another $5 card but I'm impatient like that.


 
It didn't take long at all to receive in the mail...and I surprised myself by checking it out that first day I got it.  I've used it almost daily for about a month and have seen a good amount of progress.  It takes about 30 minutes to set it up properly and that involves various fitness and flexibility tests as well as measuring your arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs, so that you can track your progress.  You also have the option to use your own hand weights, step, stability ball, and heart rate monitor if you have one.  I like a lot of the options that are provided and that there is a good amount of variety.  I haven't been active much over the last few years so I find this to be a really good challenge, however if you are in pretty good shape you may find things too easy.  I like that you can concentrate on different types of workouts but still keep with your long-term goals.  You can do yoga, cardio, upper body, lower body, or flexibility.  The only one I didn't care for is the yoga option because I found it more frustrating then relaxing to follow along.  I also like that you can change your scenery and music based on how you feel.  The only real con that I found with this is that if you are someone that has knee problems this probably wouldn't be the fitness game for you.  The initial testing and progress checks involve jumping jacks and squats.
All in all though I'm really happy.  I was able to get a great product, for almost free (would've been free if I had more patience) and all I had to do was do searches using SwagBucks instead of Google and had almost the same results.   

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Heya! This is TheMuseFactory from swap-bot checkin' in and loving this post! I love freebies! I think I'll end up getting sidetracked from visiting blogs and check it out. It's a pleasure to meet you and looking forward to your posts!

Marybeth said...

Hi! This is mbkufen from swap-bot... Thanks for the info on freebies!

Beth said...

(This is beth619 stopping in from Swap-Bot!) I have not tried SwagBucks, either, but it's helpful to hear someone's honest opinion of it.... I may give it a go, especially since I am buying stuff from Amazon.com ALL the time! (Like you, though, I'd likely spend the money right away rather than wait for a chance to build it to at least $10 or more!)

Jana said...

Thank you for the info on SwagBucks. I'm going to have to check that out. And the Wii review was helpful too. Like you, I have to get my rear moving.
I am here from Swap-Bot.
JanaD

Luvystacy said...

Hello, this is Stacy (luvystacy) from swap bot checking out your blog, I am also following you now...You I'm glad I read this post because I was debating on whether I wanted to purchase this game for a work out place...now I am tempted to go get it...Thanks so much for sharing, Have a good day :D

Stacy

gauci123 said...

nice blog from swap

Emily Elise Bee said...

Hello! This is Emily from swap box! I totally signed up for swag bucks, hopefully i'll earn something as sweet as you did.

G w e n said...

Hi! This is Gwen (lolita) from swap-bot. Nice review about the Wii :) I would love to try that. Also thanks for the info about SwagBucks. I'm going to check that out.