Thursday, February 4, 2010

Homemade and/or Baking Soda Toothpaste

I've heard a lot about the different uses for Baking Soda, especially for whitening teeth.  I've also been using Arm and Hammer Toothpaste for awhile now but a little while back I came across a recipe for homemade toothpaste and we had the main ingredients in the house so I decided I'd give it a try.  The blog I originally found the recipe on seems to no longer exist (A Dash Of Wife And A Pinch Of Motherhood) but I did find another blog that had it...over here.

Basically here is the recipe:
Mix together:
~2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
~3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
~5 drops Peppermint Essential oil
~5 drops Spearmint Essential Oil
~a pinch of Stevia powder

I only had the first two ingredients here, the Coconut Oil and the Baking Soda, but decided to give it a try anyway with the knowledge it probably wasn't going to taste very good.  Haha...I was right....I would definitely recommend using some Peppermint or Spearmint Essential Oil if you have it.  I can't bring myself to use it every single time I brush but I've been alternating between that and the Arm and Hammer Baking Soda one that I was using anyway.  Even with the limited use of the homemade toothpaste I am finding it makes a big difference...I probably use it every 2-3 days. 

I used to always have problems with my gums bleeding and getting inflamed, I've noticed that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, even when flossing afterwards it seems so much better.  Also, my mom said to me that she thought my teeth looked whiter!   She has been mentioning my yellow coffee stained teeth for awhile now and even went so far as to buy me whitening strips for Christmas.  I tried the product once and couldn't even handle leaving it in my mouth for the recommended time, it was awful so I much prefer the homemade toothpaste option....even if it's not very good tasting without the oils...at least I can tolerate it and to me it seems like a far better option.

Have you tried any homemade toothpaste recipes?  Or any other homemade recipes for common every day products?  What was your experience?

I'm know I'm definitely interested in learning more about simple homemade alternatives that are both inexpensive and natural.    

2 comments:

daysgoby said...

I've never tried to make my own toothpaste, but I have used just baking soda as shampoo.

(Which works well, actually. Snag a palmful and put it on wet hair, smoosh around (it won't lather) then rinse and voila! Shiny nice hair. BUT this only works if you wash your hair every day.)

Glenda said...

lovely blog and happy to follow you, my name is glendas on swapbot., have a great week, love from Glenda