Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Goals, Reading List

I have many goals that I am working on but thought keeping track of some of them here may be kind of fun. I came across a list today (oh no, not a list) and so my newest goal is to read every book on this list in order. The list is by the American Library Association and it's a list of 100 Banned and/or Challenged Classic Books.

From their page:

Each year, the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom records hundreds of attempts by individuals and groups to have books removed from libraries shelves and from classrooms.

According to the Office for Intellectual Freedom, at least 42 of the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century have been the target of ban attempts.

The titles in bold represent banned or challenged books. For more information on why these books were challenged, visit challenged classics and the Banned Books Week Web site.

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
6. Ulysses by James Joyce
7. Beloved by Toni Morrison
8. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
9. 1984 by George Orwell
10. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
11. Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov
12. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

13. Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
14. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
15. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
16. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
17. Animal Farm by George Orwell
18. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
19. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
20. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
21. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
22. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
23. Their Eyes are Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
24. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
25. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

...........

There are another 75 on the list, so if you want to see the rest click here.

That said, the hunt now begins. I did read The Great Gatsby and many others on the list back in my school days however I'm wanting to approach this goal as if I've never read any of these classics. So, now....to get my hands on a copy of The Great Gatsby. Hmmm.

Some options... the library (will be fine for some of the books, but this one I actually wouldn't mind owning), freecycle, bookcrossing, kijiji, craigslist, ebay, and of course local bookstores (both with used and new books).

3 comments:

The Queen of Clearance. said...

Ive read 7 of those! I need to get caught up on my reading!

FoundProdigalDaughter said...

That's more then I've read on the list....

GoldenLadyNiecy said...

Great Reading List!!!
I've read several of them. This time of year is a great time to curl up with a good book!!!
Hugs and Love,
Niecy