Here is a list of quotes I compiled for a swap I recently participated in (put together using google documents so the formatting is a little off here):
1. The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but deliverance from fear.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. ~ Psalm 118:8
3. “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”
~ Hellen Keller
4. “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there”
5. “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
~ Mahatma Gandhi
“You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
~ Christopher Columbus
“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
~ Dr Wayne Dyer
“Pessimist : A person who says that O is the last letter of ZERO, instead of the first letter in word OPPORTUNITY.”
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.”
~ B. Olatunji
“When you get to the end of the rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
~ Franklin D Roosevelt
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
~ Winston Churchill
“There are those who work all day. Those who dream all day. And those who spend an hour dreaming before setting to work to fulfill those dreams. Go into the third category because there’s virtually no competition.”
~ Steven J Ross
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
14. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus when the limo breaks down.”
~ Oprah Winfrey
15. “Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.”
~ Henry van Dyke
16. “The tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach.”
~ Benjamin Mays
17. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
~ John 10:10 (NIV)
18. The message I give you waits for the time I have appointed.
It speaks about what is going to happen. And all of it will come true.
It might take a while. But wait for it.
You can be sure it will come. It will happen when I want it to.
~ Habakkuk 2:3
19. Follow the three R's:
Respect for self
Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions.
~ Dalai Lama
20. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate
steps to correct it.
~ Dalai Lama
21. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values. ~ Dalai Lama
22. Our entire life consists ultimately in accepting ourselves as we are.
~ Jean Anouilh
23. " I sit and wish sometimes that life wasn't so complicated...that maybe just for a short amount of time the pieces of the puzzle could just fall in place and all life's worries could just vanish. But, if life actually was that easy, would it be as rewarding to finish the puzzle?"
~ Sean Marks
24. “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” ~ James 1:12
25. The rule for us all is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you "love" your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. ~ C. S. Lewis
26. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
27. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
~ Robert Fulghum
28. No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.
~ Amelia Earhart
29.Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie
30. Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies.
~ Ann Landers
31. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. ~ Reinhold Niebuhr
32. In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence. ~ Buddha
33. Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
~ Marcus Aurelius
34. There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.
~ W. Clement Stone
35. It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
~ Alan Cohen
36. If you don't like who you are and where you are, don't worry about it because you're not stuck either with who you are or where you are. You can grow. You can change.
~ Zig Ziglar
37. Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.
~ Danny Kaye
38. I think these difficult times have helped me to understand better than before how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way and that so many things that one goes around worrying about are of no importance whatsoever. ~ Isak Dinesen
39. It is okay to be afraid. It is not okay to let the fear hold you back from accomplishing great and wonderful things. ~ Lucy MacDonald
40. Set yourself free from the past, bring peace into your life, and move into the present by letting go of your anger and bitterness.
~ Lucy MacDonald
41. To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness. ~ Robert Muller
42. When life pokes and prods you, it is not punishment or abuse. You are being pushed out of the nest. Spread your wings and take flight. See how well you can fly.
~ Melody Beattie
43. Be an appreciator of the seemingly small things in life; a smile, a kind word, a beautiful flower, a few hours of unstructured time, a laughing child, for it is the small things that become the warp and weft of the fabric of your life.
~ Lucy MacDonald
44. The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are ever after secure in your ability to survive. J.K. Rowling
45. The first step toward change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something you do, it is something you allow.
~ Will Garcia
46. Having the world's best idea will do you no good unless you act on it. People who want milk shouldn't sit on a stool in the middle of a field in hopes that a cow will back up to them.
~ Curtis Grant
47. Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
48. Life is 10 percent what you make it and 90 percent how you take it. ~ Irving Berlin
49. "You are what you think about all day long."
~ Dr. Robert Schuller
50. Enjoy life, this is not a dress rehearsal ~ unknown
51. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.” ~ Willie Nelson
52. Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. ~ 1 Peter 5:7
53. Breathe in breathe out, place one foot in front of the other, take one day at a time… ~ unknown
54. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. ~ unknown
55. I believe that sometimes when I’m angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn’t give me the right to be cruel. ~ unknown
56. Tears are words from the heart that can’t be spoken. ~ unknown
57. “It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts.” ~ Robert H. Schuller
58. We're never gonna survive unless we go a little crazy.
59. Live and work but do not forget to play, to have fun in life and really enjoy it.
~ Eileen Caddy
60. Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways at the last minute, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - That was Fun!”
61. "I haven't failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." ~ Thomas Edison
62. We cannot hold a torch to light another person's path without brightening our own. ~ Ben Sweetland
63. "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." ~ Neil Peart
64. "Fall seven times, stand up eight." ~ Japanese Proverb
65. I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. In each, it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit. One becomes, in some area, an athlete of God. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired." ~Martha Graham
66. Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. ~ James 1:2-3
67. I know God won’t give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He wouldn’t trust me so much. ~ Mother Teresa (1910-1997)
68. Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety or by the handle of faith. ~ Ron Nickel
69. Fear imprisons. Faith frees. Fear troubles. Faith triumphs. Fear cowers. Faith empowers. Fear disheartens. Faith encourages. Fear darkens. Faith brightens. Fear cripples. Faith heals. Fear puts hopelessness at the centre of life. Faith puts fear at the feet of God. ~ unknown
70. You can weep because the roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because the thorns have roses. ~ unknown
71. Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying... "I will try again tomorrow." ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
72. I want to be an addict...to LIFE! ~ Nicolle Barteaux (Me, Tinkergirl)
73. "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed;
perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted, but not abandoned;
struck down, but not destroyed....
Therefore we do not lose heart.
Though outwardly we are wasting away,
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
~ 2 Corinthians 4:8-9,16
74. If my heart can become pure and simple like that of a child, I think there probably can be no greater happiness than this. ~ Kitaro Nishida
75. Happiness is like a butterfly, which, when you pursue it is always beyond your grasp, but which, when you sit down may alight upon you. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
76. To live we must conquer incessantly, we must have the courage to be happy. ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
77. Perhaps the best thing about the future is that it only comes on day at a time. ~ Dean Acheson
78. The same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow, and every day. ~ Frances de Sales
79. I’ve developed a new philosophy….I only dread one day at a time. ~ Charlie Brown (Peanuts)
80. Bad habits are like a comfortable bed—easy to get into, but hard to get out of. ~ Unknown
81. To thine own self be true. ~ William Shakeseare
82. It is not by a man’s purse, but by his character, that he is rich or poor. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
83. Love your enemy—it’ll drive him nuts. ~ Unknown
84. Do unto others as if you were the others. ~ Elbert Hubbard
85. When you help someone else up the hill, you reach the top yourself. ~ Anonymous
86. Grin and bear it. ~ Unknown
87. Every cloud has a silver lining. ~ Unknown
88. If you would find greater joy in life, attempt to serve and please someone every day. The gift of yourself to someone who needs you will, in return, bring the gift of confidence and serenity to you. ~ John H. Crowe
89. ‘Tis easy enough to be pleasant, When life flows along like a song; But the man worth while is the one who will smile When everything goes dead wrong. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox
90. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. ~ Philippians 4:8
91. Let us be determined to be happy; make the most of the blessings that come to us; look on the bright side of everything. Cheerfulness is not always spontaneous….One who can carry a smiling face through a world where there are so many troubled hearts may unconsciously be a public benefactor; for “the merry heart doeth good like a medicine,” and not alone to its possessor. ~ M.P. Wells
92. After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
~ Italian Proverb
93. Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
~ Chinese Proverb
94. Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness
~ Chinese Proverb
95. A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense.
~ American Proverb
96. A man is not where he lives, but where he loves.
~ Latin Proverb
97. I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. ~ Bill Cosby
98. The greatest mistake you can make is to be continually fearing that you’ll make one. ~ Elbert Hubbard
99. I thought I was losing my mind. It was only my imagination. ~ David Porter, “Suburbia Poem”
100. Not to decide is to decide. ~ Unknown
101. He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg. ~ Chinese proverb
102. Don’t think you are necessarily on the right road just because it is a well-beaten path. ~ unknown
104. We live in a crazy world and the only way to see it is to stand permanently on your head. ~ G.K. Chesterton
105. It will do no good to get on the right track if you then go in the wrong direction. ~ Evan Esar, Esar’s Comic Dictionary
106. Change is the law of life and growth. ~ C.B. Eavey, 2500 Sentence Sermons
107. Change, like sunshine, can be a friend or a foe, a blessing or a curse, a dawn or a dusk. ~ William Arthur Ward
108. “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!” ~ Isaiah 43:18-19
109. It isn’t what you know but what you are willing to learn. ~ Cliff Schimmels, T-shirt Wisdom for the Graduate